Jan 29, 2011

Learning Spanish FROM English (not the other way around)!

Phil asked me to talk about what learning in Canada is like. So, clearly I agreed. My name is Katah, and I am in Grade 11. I met Phil when he was on an exchange in Canada. He was in the same group as Sara, who stayed in our house. My family is a frequent host family, and we always have new people staying with us. Right now, I am learning bits of German here and there. I only have one more year to go until university. In Canada, schools are set up a little different. We can take a lot of weirder classes, and most of our classes are chosen by us. By our final year, we only have to take one class, English. The rest we choose ourselves, based on what we want to take for university. In Canada, I have had the opportunity to take Spanish, Vocal Music, and Playwrighting (basically writing plays). Learning Spanish from English must be different from learning it the other way around. In Spanish, the worst part was trying to figure out the pronounciation. It's much simpler, more concrete than in English. I can look at a word, and amost always know how to say it. The worst part was the "ñ", the "rr", and the "j". I still can't get it. I really liked already knowing how to speak French (almost fluently). It made it easier to learn. I found the words were similar in some cases. Like, 1 to 10. "un, deux, trois, quatre, cinq, six, sept, huit, neuf, et dix" are close to "uno, dos, tres, quatro, cinco, seis, siete, ocho, nueve, y diez". In Canada, Spanish is a condensed program. So, I have to learn enough Spanish to be fluent in only 3 years. It's not so much fun, but it definitely beats French, which they spanned over 8 years. Better to get it over with, I guess. I know earlier, Phil talked about English pronounciation compared to Spanish. When learning Spanish, all we have to learn was "a (like ahhhh), e (like ehhhh), i (like ee), o (like ohhh), and u (like oo). After that came the rest of the alphabet, but I am sure you already know that. Spanish, unlike English, doesn't have many exceptions to the grammar rules, like English's "i before e except after c" rule  and ...except when said 'ay' as in 'neighbor' and 'weigh', or if the word comes from other languages, or if not a dipograph, or if a dipograph that is pronounced like 'ee' or if it's used as a plural for "cy". English has a LOT of exceptions, and Spanish is much simpler in that aspect. I like Spanish for that reason. Also, I like it because it sounds cool! It's just overall, pretty neat to learn, and languages take you places. I am learning Spanish because I think it's important to learn other languages. They expand your horizons, which is also why I want to be a French teacher. In Canada, French owns all (it's just pure awesome). Only 15% of Canadians' first language is French, and the rest are English, and then only 1% speak other languages before French or English. Spanish is important because it's a language spoken all around the world, just like French. All schools offer French, but very rarely is Spanish offered. Latin, or Italian is also popular. Even Ancient Greek! Like I said, courses in Canada can be weird. Because our school offers Spanish, I decided to jump at the chance and take it. I was VERY pleasantly surprised.
Hope to talk to you soon,
Katah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment!